"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

January 10, 2013

Square Off Quilt Finished

Just after Christmas I was doing a pattern test for Elisabeth of Brown Bird Designs on her quilt pattern "Square Off". Elisabeth has very generously made this a FREE pattern download from her blog.
Go here to download a FREE copy of this pattern.
  My first post about this quilt is here.

While I've been between custom orders I've been working on quilting this beautiful quilt. Several days were spent in contemplation on how exactly to go about quilting it. One option was to do an all over stipple and call it done. But, as I stared at it those squares kept telling me that they needed to stand out and be the star of the show. After signing up for a Craftsy online quilting class with Angela Walters, I knew exactly how to go about doing the quilting. Since this was a pattern test and not a gift for someone it was the perfect canvas for practicing the stitches I was learning in class!

Today I put the finishing touches on this quilt and was very pleased with the final results.

 I played with several possibilities for quilting the print sections of the quilt, the possibilities I considered were; feathers, Stitch in the ditch around each seam of the squares, 2-3 rows of stitching following the lines of the square. But in the end I chose to leave the squares just as they are with no quilting in those sections.

I still can't decide if that was the best decision of not.
What do you gals think?
"Square Off" Made completely from Half Square Triangles and Squares. A confident Beginner could easily make this quilt!
Since this became a practice quilt for me, I used each section to practice a different combination of designs.

This is my favorite section of quilting, with Paisleys and Swirls

As always I especially like how the back shows off the pattern and quilting!

Back of "Square Off"

There are some more pictures of this quilt available on my photostream on flickr,  click here to see those photos.

Blessings,
Marcia

P.S. Stop by the Shop and take advantage of a $20 savings on just an $80 order
{that's a 25% savings}!!


17 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a great job quilting it. Great pics. Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is wonderful from the choice of fabrics to the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!

    Question ... was the Craftsy class aimed at long armers or would it be suitable for someone quilting on a regular machine? I've been eyeballing the class and was wondering about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonja!

      The Craftsy class is suitable for those with a regular machine. While Angela is quilting with a long arm she takes the time to explain how to do the techniques on a home sewing machine (which is what I'm quilting with). She does make the assumption that you know how to use your machine and have at least basic sewing skills. I would highly recommend this class for anyone wanting to take their quilting to the next level, no matter what machine you have.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that review, it answers my questions. I assumed you must be using a long arm because your quilting is so even and beautiful. So kudos to you! I've had my trusty Bernina for over 10 years, so we are now intimate with each other ;) LOL ... I think I'm going to indulge in that class because of seeing your results.

      Delete
    3. I'm not exactly sure why the stitches seem to be fairly even (though if you were able to look more closely you'd find that they aren't really all that even). Here's what I've done that I think helped the most....The biggest help of all was modifying my free motion/darning foot so that it doesn't hop up and down. I used Leah Day's tutorial video, here's the link..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APD6s7PwoqU
      Second I always leave my feed dogs up, I know it sound counter productive, but I had less thread breakage. Then quite by accident one day I forgot to set my machine to free motion and change the stitch length to zero and amazingly my free motion quilting seemed to be even better. I can't explain it, but that's how this how quilt was quilted...with a modified free motion foot, feed dogs up, stitch length at 2, and in regular stitch mode.

      Delete
  4. WOW! Great quilting. I love how you left the colored diamond areas unquilted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is so pretty, and the FMQ is my favorite. The textures are beautiful. I think the print sections look fine with no stitches in them; they seem to 'pop out' of the quilt a bit more. But it would also have been quilt find to put another design in them. I think your artistic decision was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I love your FMQ. Your decision to leave the print sections unquilted was perfect. They really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right....the back shows off your lovely quilting so nicely. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt, the colours are beautiful, not to mention your FMQ, it really pops!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting looks stunning! You must be so glad that you didn't do an all over stipple. Custom quilting does take time but the outcome is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW is all I can say. Your awesome, really nice. You inspire me to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This turned out so beautifully! You did a great job on the quilting and I agree with you that it makes the squares pop right out.

    Thanks for the picture of the back. It really helps to see what you did and how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great...the back really shows off the quilting well!

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...