"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

February 29, 2012

Quilt of Valor

 For several months now I've been seeing different Quilts of Valor and have been intrigued by the idea of making quilts to honor our service men and women.  I've discovered that all (or at least most) of the Quilts of Valor have been inspired by the Quilt of Valor Foundation, created with the purpose of honoring our men and women who have been touched by war. 

Opening up the latest issue of Fons & Porter's "Love of Quilting" (March/April 2012) I discovered a quilt named, "Three Tours," designed by a man in honor of his nephew who had served three tours of duty (two in Iraq and one in Afghanistan).  Seeing this quilt I went from just being intrigued to being inspired.

Quilt of Valor Inspiration Pattern

Have you ever been so inspired by something that it's almost all that fills your mind and you know you have to follow through and act upon that inspiration? This is that kind of inspiration for me.  Since being inspired I've had to force myself to work on other obligations (home and sewing) before diving into this quilt. I'm so excited about this project that I'm sure it will consume me once I start and I may not leave my studio until it's finished.  If you don't hear from me for a few days, send in some chocolate and cherry coke zero.

Quilt of Valor Fabric selection

So, today I begin a Quilt of Valor for a soldier who is dear to my heart and I hope will be honored by it.

Blessings,
Marcia the Little Pink Rose

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a recent issue of fons and porter? Its a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern is in the March/April 2012 issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also saw that and just finished my Three Tours Quilt, which is actually only my 4th quilt. I have only been quilting for about a year now and this was my first quilt that had the flying geese. The first were just 9 patch and squares and rectangles. It came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. I can't wait to see yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...