"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

February 12, 2012

A Quilt of Forgiveness


As I began to get into quilting, I was given an unexpected opportunity to participate in an act of Christian love.  It was an act of love that was easier for some than others. During our Wednesday evening prayer service,  we prayed for a specific family and as we prayed the Lord laid it on my heart to make a baby quilt as a part of how our church would be reaching out to the family.  I knew I had to obey and do exactly what the Lord was asking me to do no matter how hard I felt it was going to be.

I knew He was going to be using the process of making this quilt to  bring not only the healing I needed but also to "sew" seeds of forgiveness in my heart.

 

It was with a bit of trepidation that I moved forward with picking out just the right fabric. Through every step of the process, I was praying first for the baby who would be receiving the blanket and then for the adults in this little ladies life. 

The back

The Lord worked in my heart as I prayed, removing both the bitterness and unforgiveness left in my heart. He made it possible for me to close a painful chapter of my life without any lingering poisons left in my heart.

Front


 I learned long ago that my forgiveness of another is never dependent upon their seeking my forgiveness, or even admitting that they did something needing forgiveness.  Forgiveness does not say that what was done was okay to do. Instead it says that I will not allow myself to be held captive by chains of hurt, bitterness and unforgiveness. Nor, is forgiveness an automatic restoration of a relationship. There are some relationships that are toxic and shouldn't be restored, until the Lord does a work and changes the toxic-ness of that relationship. For a relationship to truly be restored the offending party must repent and actually seek your forgiveness.

Quilt Label

A forgiving heart is something that comes as one walks closely with the Lord God and seeks His ways. It is in an attempt to have a "heart after the Lord's own heart," that the Lord fills the heart with a desire to forgive.


 I once heard a Bible teacher relate a story of being hurt by a friend and asking God to, "Get her Lord, give her what she deserves."  And the Lord answered in her heart, "Really? Should I also give you what you deserve?"  Immediately her prayer for the lady changed from, "Get her Lord to, Forgive her Lord."


A quilt of forgiveness

My hearts desire is to be like my Savior as He hung on the cross. He cried out to God, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."  My cry is the same for those who have hurt me, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Today I'm singing the Lord's praises for using each stitch of this quilt to change my heart and for giving me the desire and ability to forgive.

May Your Day be Greatly Blessed!
Marcia
Little Pink Rose

3 comments:

  1. Amen! God used a cross-stitching project to teach me the same lesson and help me let go of anger and hurt that I had been harboring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!

    Stopping by from Quilt Story's link-up.

    Mrs.Hearts
    www.busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful little baby quilt Marcia!
    I am happy it allowed you the opportunity to work thru your pain in stitch work and prayers.

    Every quilt tells a story.
    It's truly remarkable how much emotion and prayers can be quilted between it's layers.
    One more amazing gift we as quilter's have been given.
    Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...