"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

July 2, 2012

Mission Trip Week

There was no quilting or sewing happening around here last week, but that's okay it was for a good reason. 

Last week was Mission Trip week for our church. We left Northern Virginia early Friday morning for two days of driving to arrive in Joplin, MO late Saturday afternoon. Friday evening, Southland Baptist Temple of Paducah, KY opened up their cabin to us for a nights rest before continuing on our way to Missouri. Once in Joplin, Fellowship Baptist Church opened up their doors to provide a facility for us to stay in and use of their kitchen for the week.

It was truly a week of hard work and many blessings. Like most of the country Joplin was experiencing temps over 100 degrees all week, making our work even harder, but still worth every bit of effort.

Sunday we attended Worship Services at Fellowship and were greatly blessed to spend the morning with such genuinely caring people! Of course being so close to Lambert's Cafe - Home of the Throwed Roll in Ozark, MO we had to make the drive to enjoy a wonderful meal and catch some rolls. I thoroughly enjoy myself and the meal every time I've been there!! If you're ever in the Springfield/Branson, MO area or anywhere close, it's well worth the drive and the wait!!!

Monday we dove right into the mission work. We meet a man who had purchased one of the homes that had been damaged by the tornado that had hit Joplin just over a year ago. He is refurbishing the home to donate it for use as a transitional home to a program that works with homeless men helping them to move from jobless/homelessness to employed with a home of their own. Our assignment for the day was to gut several rooms and cut down over grown bushes around the property.

We gutted several rooms that were rain damaged due to the tornado damaged roof (which had been replaced by the new owner). The guys gave me a handsaw to remove the bush to the right of the front door.



Paneling removed and working on removing  the ceiling & insulation.


The Team

Monday was the first of our hot days of work with a high of 103 degrees.  We finished the job hot, dirty and exhausted, but full of joy that we were able to meet a need.

Tuesday we were assigned to an older could who had rebuilt their home after the tornado. The husband had just had knee replacement surgery a few days before our arrival and they needed some help with their yard work. We went to work trimming around walks and buildings, weeding and mulching their tomato plants, roses, trees and flower beds. They were an absolutely sweet couple, who made helping them a complete pleasure!!

Most of the Team with the homeowner
Wednesday & Thursday we spent working on the property of a man who had spent the last year helping others Joplin recover from the tornado damage, instead of focusing on himself. We cleared out trees and brush from several areas around the property and had a great time serving the Lord!!
For this job sight I was handed a pair of ratcheted loppers and the work went much faster!! The guys had chain saws and chop saws (big boy toys) and were heaven cutting down trees.




During our second day of work at this location, I had disturbed a nest of bees and wasn't too enthused about cutting the brush on the opposite side of the shed where the bees were. But, after some teasing and light-hearted ribbing, I thought at least I could check it out see if the bees and calmed down enough for me to trim some of the brush.  It was one of those decisions that truly paid off.  I pulled aside the limb I was about to cut and there in the dirt and weeds was an old Singer sewing machine. I dug it out of the weeds and set aside thinking I'd ask the owner if I could buy it from him. Going back and trimming off another limb I discovered another sewing machine in the dirt, dug it out and found another. In all there were 5 old sewing machines (3 Singers, 1 Dressmaker and 1 unidentifiable).  I couldn't believe the treasure trove I had run across! Yes, they had been in the dirt and were rusty,  but I didn't care. I could clean them up and they would make great decorations for my future quilt shop.

When I asked the owner if I could buy all 5 machines from him, he said that he was just headed to the dumb with them and I could just have them, if I wanted them. Of course I wanted them!!

My Mission Trip Treasure Trove
Old sewing machines, waiting to be cleaned up and possibly restored.




Every day of our time in Joplin was over 100 degrees making for some very hot, sweaty work. I pray that the little we were able to accomplish made a difference for those we worked for. I pray that lives were impacted in ways that we may never know about.  To God be the Glory!!!


Blessings!







6 comments:

  1. Love those sewing machines!
    And what a great experience working in Joplin. We went last summer. Wasn't it something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to Joplin was amazing!!! I'm so glad we had the opportunity to go and serve others, especially with the knowledge that we wouldn't be getting anything in return! The amount of work (clean up & rebuilding)that's been accomplished in Joplin over the last year is amazing, while at the same time the amount left to do is staggering. So much still to do! The people of Joplin are absolutely wonderful, caring, genuine people!

      Delete
  2. Those sewing machines were certainly waiting for you to arrive!!!!!!! What a treasure!!!
    What you did for those people was really nice. I am very greatful to know there are people like you sharing the planet with me. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly an unexpected hidden treasure!! I wish that we could have done so much more than we were able to, but thankful that we were able to do what we did.

      Delete
  3. Oooooo, I think you're going to have to buy stock in Evaporust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right! Lots of Evapo Rust will definitely be needed! Hopefully it does the trick.

      Delete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...