"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

October 20, 2012

Color Guard

Last week I posted a picture of silk and lame and asked what you thought I might be making. On facebook I received several great guesses ranging from formal dresses to curtains.  

I was commissioned by a local high school's color guard to create their final flag for their competition show. I was sent a drawing of the design and asked if I could make 20 of these in 6 days. The design looked fairly straightforward and actually pretty simple. I figured if I did nothing else all week, it shouldn't be a problem.  Thankfully I was given a little bit of leeway and if time ran short they only had to have 16 for Saturday's competition.

Color Guard/Winter Guard Flag finished size: 54" x 36"

After the first day of working on these I knew that I would not be finishing much before the deadline and that this project was going to take some very late nights. By the fourth day of work I was wishing that my momma was close enough to call for help. I know she would have been hear in a heartbeat to help me out if she could have been, but with over a thousand miles between us that wasn't going to happen. There wasn't even time to call her and cry on her shoulder about how long these were taking. 

Like I mentioned they look so simple and in reality they are simple straight lines. The problem comes in two forms the fabric is lightweight, it ravels easily, it is difficult to work with and every single seam was stitched a minimum of 3 times.  In to all the seams being flat-felled seams, every seam was serged to stop the fraying process and for the added strength

In the end I finished the last flag 30 minutes before my deadline and at 4 AM Saturday morning delivered the last of the flags to the high school just as the team was gathering to load up and travel to the competition....perfect timing.

I'm left with just 4 flags to finish before I head off to Quilt Market next week. After this week four should be no problem. I'm excited about going to the fall Quilt Market and being able to expand the fabric selection we have available in the shop.  Is there anything you'd like to see us carry?

Have a great week and happy quilting! 
Marcia




1 comment:

  1. Whew! What a job that was! Isn't it amazing how a "simple" design can take a lot of work. I know the color guard and the band are very grateful for the work you put into them. They take a lot of wear and tear and need to be make as strong as can be. Great job! Sounds like it is perfect timing for you to now be able to run off and "play" a bit at Quilt Market. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...