"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

August 11, 2016

Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt {Sew Along Months 4 - 11}

Been crazy busy with quilts and travels so I've neglected sharing my SVBAQ monthly blocks. 
I was going to do a post about each individual block, but I think for the sake of time and space I'm going to share each of the blocks here. 

Month 4 - Star of the East


Star of the East was a quick and easy block to stitch together. 

Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Macaw
Flowers: True Colors - Making Waves in Sienna & 
Lady Bug in Mustard by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Leaves: Elizabeth - Bats in the Belfry in Tart by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Stem: Elizabeth - Bats in the Belfry in Tart by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil


Month 5- Yellow/Pink Tulip


For the Yellow/Pink Tulip I chose to leave out the yellow and focus on the pink. My original intention was to fussy cut the center of the tulips so that the Queen Elizabeth's hair would be the base of the center portion of tulip, but I mixed up the tips of the center piece when I ironed the wash away paper to the fabric. It turned out nice despite my plans mess up.  This was another quick and easy block. 

Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Sky
Flowers: True Colors - Daisy Buds in Fuchsia by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics & 
Elizabeth - 16th Centry Selfie by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Leaves & Stems: Elizabeth - Chain Mail in Plum by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil

Month 6 Tree of Liberty of the United States


As I studied this block I found the layout of the branches a bit odd, so I changed the layout of the branches so that at least to me it seemed a little more natural. For this block I made all my circles using a large washer I got at Home Depot. My only problem was that my circles were bigger than the original circles and I couldn't follow the original layout. I had to find a way to spread the branches and circles out more than I had planned on doing. With Aunt Reen's advice I used tiny applique pins to hold each circle in place until I had everything right where I wanted it and could glue it all in place. This has become one of my favorite blocks. If you look closely you'll see some bats and an owl hiding out.

Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Orchid
Flowers:Variety of fabrics from the Elizabeth and True Colors Collections by Tula Pink for 
Free Spirit Fabrics
Limbs & Trunk: True Colors - making Waves in Olive by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil


Month 7 - Tiger Lily


The orange in the block is almost too perfect for the Tiger Lily block.

Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Orchid
Flowers: Elizabeth - Ship Shape in Plum by Tula Pink For Free Spirit Fabrics &
True Colors - Lady Bug in Mustard by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Leaves: True Colors - Daisy Buds in Grass by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Stem: True Colors - Mini Owl in Mint Julep by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil


Month 8 - Bouquet


For the Bouquet block I decided to use a variety of fabrics to bring together a wide variety of the Elizabeth and True Colors collections I'm using the quilt. The only thing I wish I had done was to have threaded the stems of the flowers through the ribbon so that it would appear as though it were tied around all of them. It would have taken a little more effort to accomplish this type of layering than I was up to doing when I was working on this block.

Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Orchid
Flowers, Stems & Vase: Variety of fabrics from the Elizabeth and 
True Colors Collections by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics 
Bow: Yellow Solid Scrap from Fabric Stash
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil


Month 9 - Sunflower


This has become another of my favorite blocks! Instead of making individual points around the sunflower, upon the advice of another quilter, I divided the points/petals into two separate pieces. On one was the points on the other the rounded petals. By doing this it gave me more room to manipulate the fabric around each of the points and petals. I was concerned that the green in the leaves was going to be close to the background green, but this one turned out to be a perfect contrast. Love this one.

Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Olive
Flowers: Elizabeth -Tudor Windows in Sky by Tula Pink For Free Spirit Fabrics &
True Colors - Lazy Stripe in Amber by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics & 
Solid Yellow scrap from my stash
Leaves & Stem: True Colors - Making Waves in Olive by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil

Month 10 - Moolon Lily


Definitely among my favorite blocks.

Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Thistle
Flowers: Elizabeth - Bats in the Belfry in Plum and in Sky by Tula Pink For Free Spirit Fabrics &
True Colors - Lady Bug in Abyss and in Lava by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Leaves: Elizabeth - Bats in the Belfry in Tart by Tula Pink For Free Spirit Fabrics
Stem: Elizabeth - Pearls of Wisdom in Tart by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil

Month 11 - Yellow Tulip

On the original block there was a green piece was laid between the petals and the center section leaving the green showing. I preferred the layout of the yellow/pink tulip from month 5 to this layout so I made that small adjustment when I made the applique pieces and kept the green piece as the base behind each flower.
Background fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics in Hyacinth
Flowers: True Colors - Lazy Stripe in Amber by Tula Pink For Free Spirit Fabrics &
Solid Yellow Scrap from my Stash
Leaves & Stems: Elizabeth - Ship Shape in Tart by Tula Pink For Free Spirit Fabrics
Started with a 17-1/2" background square trimmed to 16-1/2" square.
Thread: 50wt. Aurifil
 Pop on over to the SVBAQ - Sew Along blog HERE to see all that's happening with the Sew Along. It's not too late to join in the fun, while you're there you can pick up the pattern for the quilt and join in the fun. All the proceeds from your pattern purchase benefit the Virginia Quilt Museum.
Thank you for stopping by and sharing in my quilting journey
God Bless & Happy Quilting!
Marcia  

4 comments:

  1. ALL of your blocks are Stunning Marcia! I love your interpretation of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see all these together. Such super background fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're all hanging on my design wall right now. I'm getting so excited seeing all the bright colors playing off each other. Having so much fun with this project.

      Delete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...