"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

August 16, 2016

A Quilt for Adam {A Finish}



Last year (May 2015) I made this signature quilt for a young friend of ours who was battling cancer.  As our church family prayed for him and his family, we wrote out some of those prayers and words of encouragement to share with them.  Our hope was to give them a physical representation of our prayers and hope, to essential wrap them in our love.


I chose a selection of rich and comforting fabrics with Arctic White fabric for the signature strips. 
To make the blocks I started with a 6.5" white square and used 3.5" squares of various colors in the corners. On each of the 3.5" squares I drew a diagonal line and stitched directly on that line, trimming 1/4" from the stitching line. I chose to use two matching squares on each white square. Though you could easily mix them all up and it would look just as stunning.

** Before trimming a made another line of stitching 1/2" from the drawn line, in the portion that will be cut away. Doing this gave me a a bunch of Half-Square Triangles ready to make another quilt.


After stitching all the corners I ironed a piece of freezer paper (shinny side toward the wrong side of fabric) to the back of each square. This helps stabilize the threads, making it easier to write on the fabric. I also use a water soluble pen to draw seam allowances on the blocks in the hopes that people will stay inside the lines when writing.



I have two kinds of archival fabric pens I like to use on quilts. 
For this quilt I used the Zig Memory System Millennium Size 05 Pens.  
The other pens I like are the Pigma Micron Pens by Sakura size 05.
These pens are both Acid free, Archival Quality pens making them safe for use on fabric.


Once the blocks are signed I use a hot, dry iron to heat set the ink, making it permanent. 
The ink is supposed to be a permanent ink, but I have had the ink from both pens run when it gets wet, before heat setting. Since then I've made it a habit to always heat set inks that I don't want washing out or running, no matter how permanent the ink claims to be. 


To keep the messages the center of attention and to give space on the empty blocks for more messages I chose to simply stitch 1/4" from the edge of each seam in a grid format.  This kept the stitching out of most of the writing and made it easier to read.



When I delivered this quilt to the family I included several pens in varying colors along with heat setting instructions, so others could add their messages to the family. 

It was an honor to make this quilt for such a sweet family and I know it meant a lot to the family to have such a treasure.
Quilt Details & Stats:

Quilt Name: "A Quilt for Adam"
 Finished size: 60" x 66"
Quilt Pattern: Signature Quilt
 Fabric: Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit (Arctic White)
Faith, Hope and Love by whistler Studio for Windham Fabrics
Selection of fabrics from my personal stash
Batting: Heirloom Perimum 80% Cotton 20% Poly
Quilting Thread: 50wt. Aurifil White #2024
Quilting: Free Motion Quilted using my Husqvarna Sapphire 875Q domestic sewing machine

Thanks for stopping by! 
God Bless & Happy Quilting!
Marcia


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt and loving gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suh a lovely idea - so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...