"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

February 6, 2013

The Block That Almost Wasn't

Once my machine came back from the repair shop, I dove right into free-motion quilting the Craisy Daisy Quilt. The plan was to stitch daisies all over the quilt, but as I studied how to begin and how the daisies would fit in-between the appliqued daisy's petals, I realized that my plan wasn't going to work out as well as I had imagined. Time for a new quilting plan and the swirls I had been practicing were up to bat.

The swirl quilting went very well and I was pleased with the results.  The only thing I didn't like at this point was that the centers of the daisies were popping up in a weird way, but that would be easily fixed by stitching around the center of each daisy and outlining the inside of each petal.  In this picture the daisy in the top left corner had been stitched down.


 The request had been made that I create a block with the recipients name on it and incorporate it into the quilt. But, as you can see from the photo above I had neglected to make this block.  It wasn't until 4 AM the next morning that I woke up in a panic with the sudden realization that I had forgotten to make the block and put it in the quilt. 

The adrenaline was working overtime and I knew there was no point to even trying to go back to sleep. I practically flew out of bed and straight into the studio to figure out the best way to fix this problem. 

As I worked I was busy praising the Lord that I hadn't quilted the borders yet!! 

I started with creating the applique name block. To create the letters I went to my Print Shop program to find the perfect font and printed the name in the size I needed. I used a light box to reverse trace the letters onto paper backed fusible webbing and then pressed that onto the back of the white solid fabric. Cut out the letter and fused them to the replacement block and finished them with a satin stitch, using a tear-away stabilizer behind the letters.

Then it was time to take a deep breath and just accept that I had to rip out a portion of the finished quilting to be able to remove the block I needed to take out. Pulling back the quilt top I used my trusty seam ripper to cut the stitches. Once most of the stitching was removed I moved to the top of the quilt to carefully remove the rest of the stitches back as far as I needed to go without taking out more than I absolutely had to remove.

This is one of those "Keep Calm and Get the Seam Ripper" moments!
 With all the appropriate stitches removed I was able to carefully remove the block I needed to replace.

After careful manipulation I was able to sew the name block in place as if it had always been there. 


The next issue to tackle was re-quilting this area so that it didn't look like it had been ripped apart and restitched. To accomplish this I started with picking out a few more stitches to give me just enough thread to be able to tie-off and bury the loose threads. In a few places I found that I was only left with the very center of a swirl that wasn't connected to any other swirls. Those bits of stitching I completely removed. 

After all the loose threads were buried I started by lining up the new stitches with the end of existing stitching, just as I would if I had come to the end of a bobbin and was starting again. Having all the different thread ends to connect took a bit of planning, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Re-quilting around the new block.

Blessings &
Happy Stitching!!
Marcia
Enter to win this Mystique FQ Bundle. Click Here
Winner will be announced 11 AM, February 8th.


Save 24% on all Art Gallery Fabrics Through February 10th.




9 comments:

  1. This quilt is beautiful. It is worth the effort to unpick it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia is one lucky person and she'll never know (unless she reads this blog) that you had to undo in order to slip in the name block. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out beautifully, even if it did send you into a bit of a panic at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I tried to do that, it would be a mess! Your quilt looks great, I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! (what kind of stabilizer do you use?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt! It sure is wonderful when we can thank Him for the little things, isn't it? I'm planning on trying the swirls on a quilt here pretty soon. I sure hope they turn our as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I graduated from McLean High School, in McLean, VA. My father worked on the Hill for many, many years, he lived in Falls Church, VA, and I was born in Georgetown University Hospital. My step mother and younger sister still live there. While it's a beautiful city, I certainly don't miss the traffic!! :)

      Delete
  8. I admire your determination to correct your error. I think i would have just stood there and cried. It is a beautiful quilt and I am glad you were able to add the name without ruining any part of it.

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...