"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

October 12, 2015

Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt - Sew Along Month 1

October first marked the beginning of the Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt Sew Along (SVBAQ) hosted by the Virginia Quilt Museum.  The sale of the pattern helps support the Museum and the beautiful work they are doing.

The full Pattern is available through the SBVAQ - Sew Along Blog HERE.

Two amazing and inspiring quilters, Doreen aka Aunt Reena and Dawn aka Collector With A Needle, will be walking/blogging us through this 23 month Sew Along, their information is below: 

Aunt Reen's Place
 
Collector With A Needle


Since I heard about the quilt along I've been contemplating what fabrics I would use for this quilt.  I like modern bright and fun prints and wanted to do something that would be unique and even a bit out of the ordinary.  I chose to use a combination of two of Tula Pink's more recent collections, Elizabeth and True Colors.  For my background fabrics I've chosen to use Designer Essential Solids by Free Spirit Fabrics that coordinate with Tula's collections. 

All of these fabrics are currently available in my online shop at www.littlepinkrose.com.

 I'll be making a couple of changes to my version of the quilt.  First I'm turning the blocks on the top two rows so that they're all right side up.  The other change is that I won't be making the center Rainbow block, it just didn't speak to me, so I've moved the Liberty Tree block to the center position and made a fourth pineapple block to have the requisite 25 blocks.

I made two photo copies of the pattern cover and cut out the blocks that I needed to shift around so I could have an image of how my quilt will be laid out when it's finished.

The new layout for my version.
October 1st Aunt Reen revealed that block one is the three pineapple blocks. Link to that blog post here: http://svbotanicalquilt.blogspot.com/2015/10/pineapple-blocks.html

Here are my four 16" pineapple blocks.

Background fabric Designer Essential Solid - Macaw

Background fabric Designer Essential Solid - Macaw

Background fabric Designer Essential Solid -Aqua

Background fabric Designer Essential Solid -Aqua


I'm having a great time working on this quilt project and already looking forward to November 1st when we find out what which will be the block for month two. I invite you to check out the SVBAQ - Sew Along Blog, order your pattern and join me in this wonderful botanical adventure!

Thanks for stopping by and letting me share my quilting adventures with you!
God Bless & Happy Quilting,
Marcia
 

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE your Pineapple blocks and the fabrics you've selected for this quilt!
    Your quilt is going to be stunning and very unique!
    I look forward to following your progress and sharing this Journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Vibrant fabrics. The yellow pineapple block is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific post! Chatty and filled with great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabrics you have selected for your quilt. It will be fun to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun variety of colors and fabrics in your pretty blocks ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Love these fabrics. And I like that you have changed the layout slightly as I too am planning on doing 4 pineapples - one in each corner. Not that I am normally a "symmetrical" person, but I think it will balance better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your layout plan! The 4 pineapples - one in each corner look great as does the tree in the middle. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fabric selection is knockout gorgeous - it's going to be striking! This is a fun sew along! I plan on four pineapple blocks too - I think a lot of us are making similar edits!

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...