"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

November 2, 2013

Retirement Dreams {A Finish}



 A friend of ours retired from the US Army last week and being the somewhat unconventional woman that I am I wanted to make a quilt for his wife who had become a good friend over the years. Since I figured a quilt wasn't something a man would truly enjoy as a retirement gift I told my hubby it was his job to find an appropriate gift while I worked on the quilt. I love having a reason to make a quilt especially when it's for a  sweet friend!

For this quilt I used all batiks, those beautiful hand-dyed prints from Indonesia.
 Just gorgeous!!


The pattern uses 8 1/2" squares and 1" x 8 1/2" strips. 
Then working one block at a time slice it straight across, sew the strip where the square was just cut, continuing to cut the square and sew in strips on each block. 

If I were to make this pattern again, I would have started with 9" squares, sewn in the strips and then cut the squares down to 8 1/2" square.  As I worked with the squares I found it a bit difficult to keep everything perfectly lined up and square, being able to start larger and trim it down would have saved me a lot of headache and aggravation.  


When it came time to layout the blocks I put everything up on my design wall.
I wanted to make sure that the layout was balanced. 
To be able to see the balance better I took a picture of it up on the design wall, then switched it a black & white photo to help me see how the dark, medium and lights were laid out against each other.


 Doing this helped me see that there were several sections where too many of the same tone were right next to each other.


I printed off the black and white pic and went to work rearranging the blocks for the right balance. 


Tested it again with another black and white photo and found this to be a much more pleasing balance. 

The finished quilt

 Personalized label.

Monique and her finished quilt.

Quilt Stats: 
Pattern: Cranberry Chutney by Madison Cottage Design
Finished size: 64" x 72" 
Free-motion quilted with an allover medium meander stitch with 50 wt. Aurifil #1318.
Batting 1 layer of 70% Cotton, 30% Rayon batting. 

Monique, I hope you enjoy your quilt for many years to come! 

Thanks for stopping by and allowing me to share with you what I've been working on recently. 

God Bless & Happy Stitching!
Marcia 

2 comments:

  1. Marcia you did a fantastic job on this quilt. Thanks for sharing your layout tips with us and for the tip on a larger block. What a nice gift. Karen on Keuka

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, as usual. You do amazing work - and I know this first-hand!

    ReplyDelete

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...