"She seeks wool & flax, And works willingly with her hands" ~ Proverbs 31:13

June 10, 2013

Nancy's Quilt {Progress}

If you've been keeping up with my quilting progress of this quilt on facebook you already know that I'm having a great time with all the quilting!  It seems that every block I finish becomes my new favorite of the quilt.  

On most of the blocks I've chosen to do a tiny stipple stitch to make the center star or applique pop up and be the star of the show. To help with this I'm stitching in the ditch along every seam using matching threads.
I was recently watching one of Leah Day's tutorials where she explained that she doesn't use her walking foot to stitch-in-the-ditch, but instead she uses her darning foot and does a true free-motion stitch-in-the-ditch. She explained that for 1 it saves a whole lot of time to not have to keep switch feet, the walking-foot limits movement as it can only go in one direction and that your (my) free-motion quilting will not improve if I rely on the walking foot. All valid points. 

Since I've had been having issues when using the walking foot along seams and having to rip out stitching when the needle jumps to the top fabric and stitches where I really don't want it, I thought Leah's method was at least worth a try.

After 5 blocks worth of stitch-in-the-ditch, I'm really enjoying the freedom of being able to stitch straight lines in any direction I want without having to completely turn the quilt or having to take time to change feet! I'm lovin' it!

 As I was working on the yellow pebbling on this block it was quickly becoming my new favorite of all the finished blocks. Once finished it was absolutely stunning and in person even more so and at the moment anyway it is my favorite block.



This tree block had been my favorite, with the swirls of wind blowing around the trees. Love it!



I'm not even sure what to call the filler in this border....kind of reminds me of a worm hole tunnel that you might see in a movie as you travel through outer space. 



 To keep the fabric front and center I used a dark gray Aurifil thread that just melted into the fabric, if you very close you'll find that the pattern is a mixture of swirls, paisleys and pebbles.



On this border is my version of "McTavishing" with the quilting creating wave patterns that sort of mirrors the pattern on the fabric. 

 With 5 of 12 blocks finished I've now used 16 different Aurifil thread colors.

On to the next block, I'm considering some orange peel, or maybe........
We'll see what speaks to me. 


Happy Quilting & Many Blessings,
Marcia 


2 comments:

I Love hearing from you!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...